Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Great Day!!! - GSoC 2010 Announcement Day

I was one among the thousands of students all around the world who were waiting for the great moment.... - The GSoC 2010 announcement day - it was yesterday (26th April 2010) 19:00 UTC.

Actually I submitted five proposals( I am not crazy :) the maximum was 20) for two different organizations as follows:
OpenMRS :

(1) Longitudinal Data Review (Discrete Data Flowsheet) Module

(2) Approximate Date Support

(3) Concept Proposal Module

Apache Software Foundation:

(1) Implement Groups Support to Apache Shindig

(2) Simple Social Networking for Roller blog server

I got some clue when both the organizations found the duplicates and asked for my preferences :D But it was not sure until the results are announced. I gave my preference to OpenMRS project (1)

I was eagerly waiting for 19:00 UTC ( 12:30AM in my time zone). But about 10 minutes before that time, saw someone saying that they got mail from Google in the #gsoc channel. I refreshed my inbox and the surprise was there :D
I received a mail from Google congratualting me for getting accepeted for GSoC 2010. My proposal for Longitudinal Data Review (Discrete Data Flowsheet) Module project of OpenMRS got accpeted. I was lucky enough to get my first choice among the five proposals :)
Confirmed my acceptance after seeing the OpenMRS-GSoC2010 page. I couldn't access the Google's results annoucement page easily... refreshed many times before got the page loaded... Confirmed my name there too :) I got four more mails from Google saying that my proposal(s) were not selected (5-1=4 :) )

I got many good news from my friends of CSE'07 (my Uni batchmates). As we counted up to now, there are 12 got selected from CSE '07, 10 from CSE '06, 1 from ENTC '07 and 3 from IT faculty. Altogether the cout goes to 26+ from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka :) another successive record I believe!
I am so happy that CSE '07 gave the highest contribution to this count :)

Following of my batchmates got selected ( possilbly some more):
Kasun Gajasinghe
Nirmal Fernando
Sanjaya Liyanage
Thilanka Kaushalya
Suhothayan
Ishan Jayawardene
Shelan Perera
Kasun Lakpriya
Eshan Sudharaka
Meharuban
Keheliya Gallaba
Akila Wajirasena

Congtrats to all of you and rest of those from UoM. Good Luck to get through it :)

I have a long list to convey my thanks :)
In short I would like to thank every staff from the department of CSE, all my friends and senior students, members of the project communities, mentors and especially those who inspired my career in this field :)
Thank you all for your support!

There are some of my friends who couldn't get through this time even though they tried hard. Friends! cheer up! You have one more time to prove! Continue working with your interesting projects and get ready for GSoC 2011 from now onwards :)

Praying the God to guide us to complete the project successfully.


3 comments:

Nirmal Fernando said...

Wish you the same Uma !!!

All the best !!!!!

:)

Nirmal

Unknown said...

Though it is little bit late, Congratz!!! :)

Umashanthi Pavalanathan said...

@ Nirmal: Thanks!!! & Good Luck!!!

@Akila : Congrats to you too!!! Thanks :-)