Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reaching the Final Evaluations of Google Summer of Code 2010



Last week was the final week of Google Summer of Code 2010 and I spent it in writing module documentation, documenting the code and completing few enhancements. I did some refactoring to the code - introducing a new class FlowsheetPanel to have the user interface generation code (earlier it was inside the onModuleLoad() of the Flowsheet EntryPoint class). This idea was suggested by my mentor Sy, to make the code re-usable. The user interface generation code was put inside the onRender() of the FlowsheetPanel class, which is a subclass of LayoutContainer. In the Flowsheet EntryPoint class, new instance of FlowsheetPanel was simply created and added to the root panel.

Searching for observations based on ConceptName was handled using the default filtering options in the Grid widget earlier; since that way is only known by the users who read the documentation or the users who explore the module, I added the search box on the on top of the observations grid, visible to all users. The image below show's the new search box:



Module documentation for the Flowsheet module was created in the wiki page located at : http://openmrs.org/wiki/Flowsheet_Module. This wiki page contains the details of the module, especially the features of the Flowsheet module and how to use them. Also I have provided link for other resources related to the module.

I documented the source code using class level and method level comments and checked in the code to the svn repository. Last Thursday I attended the weekly Developer Call and listened to the final presentations of the Group-3 GSoC students. There were some good presentation on GSoC projects.

According to the GSoC 2010 timeline, next week is the deadline for the final evaluations. I had an awesome 12-weeks, working on the Flowsheet module and with the OpenMRS community. It is a life time opportunity for me to work with the developers all around the world. As I have reached all the goals we planned for the summer, I am so glad and feel very much satisfied. I hope everything will be fine with the final evaluations... The great motivation I got while working with the OpenMRS community during this summer opened me new paths towards contributing to FOSS. I am sure that this is a good starting point for me to reach many targets in contributing to the Open Source communities... I will continue my contribution to OpenMRS in the feature and will try to contribute to some other open source projects as well...

Eagerly waiting for the final evaluations next week...

No comments: