Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Creating a Date-range double slider


Last week was a special one where I have created my first GWT-widget. As per the suggestions made by my mentors & Burke, I decided to have a Slider widget for the date range selection. The major reason for choosing this, beyond the nice date picker widget was the amount of space it holds in the whole page. I searched for a double-slider. But unfortunately either GWT or GXT doesn't have a double-slider. I found a sample double slider in the GWT incubator mailing list and I went through it. I followed the same way to create my widget for date range selection.

Creating the widget was a wonderful experience to create the widget, where I learnt a lot about the GWT framework. I learned about the base widgets,handlers and event listeners. I got help from the developers at ##gwt IRC. I was an amazing learning experience. And I was more happy when my mentors & Burke liked it.

Then I changed the way of concept filterting. As suggested, I modified that feature to select results by ConceptClass types. I replaced the ListBox widget with a CheckBoxGroup widget. The concept classes for which the patient has obs, will be dynamically generated as check box options. The screenshots below shows the new look to the module. The slider widget and checkboxes really reduced the space for the filtering options form and increased the area to display observations.








I got valuable feedback from my mentors and Burke. Currently I am working on improving the pop-up window with details, to have the line-chat and flowsheet together. Hope I can finish this before the next demonstration on July 22nd. Mid-term evaluations are to be held next week and I've reached the goals exceeding my personal expections. Having a great time and I am sure this will continue...

No comments: